Author Education Series #11b
Crowdfunding: How To Create and Upload Your Video To Pubslush
How to Create and Upload Your Video to www.pubslush.com
Things you will need:
- A computer
- A webcam (if the computer you have does not have a built-in webcam)
- An idea of what you want to say. If you need a script, write one beforehand!
Points to include:
- Your name
- Your book’s title
- What your book is about
- Why you wrote it
- Who’s it for (the audience)
- Why people will love it
- Sincere thank you
- Reminder for readers to share with friends
Here’s a sample:
- Watch other author’s videos on our site to get a better idea of what you would like your video to be like
- Do a run through of what you would like to say
Step 1: Create a YouTube Account
- Go to www.youtube.com
- In the right corner click “Create Account”
- If you already have a Google account, you can click “sign in” in the top right, or simply follow the instructions to sign up
- You’ve created an account! Click “Back to YouTube” on the mid-left side of the page
Step 2: Record the Video
To record your video directly on YouTube (easiest option):
- On the YouTube homepage, click “Upload” in the top right corner
- Select the option “record from webcam”
- Click “start recording” to begin your video and then “stop recording” when you have finished
- Click “Upload” in the right corner of the video
- Clicking “Upload” will lead you to a new page where you can fill in the video’s information: Title, Description, Tags, Adjust Privacy Settings (list the video as unlisted so anyone with the link can view it), Choose a Category, and License and Rights Ownership (click Standard YouTube license)
- Click “Save changes” on the right
- To view your video click “View on video page” on the top right
To record on iMovie (Macs only):
- Click the video icon on the far middle left
- Click “Capture” on the far bottom right to start recording and click “Stop” when finished
- Edit and save
To record on PhotoBooth (Macs only):
- Choose the film strip icon and simply press the middle red button to start and stop
- Select the video from the reel below the record button
- Click “File” then “Export” to save the file
Step 3: Upload the Video to YouTube
Author Education Series #10a
Marketing Yourself: Social Media Marketing and Creating an Online Presence
How To Market Yourself
Writing and publishing a book is a challenging and rewarding way to spend your time. I love it- it’s what I do. I also love working with authors who are on the path to publishing and worry about things like how to promote themselves, sell books, and get a crowd at their next reading.
Here is what I tell them, and what I tell you: No one can buy your book, come to your event, or talk about what you’re doing until they hear about it.
That’s where it starts, and using social media will help you make it happen.
What is social media?
In my mind, social media is any media that lets you interact with other people- that’s what makes it social. For example, Facebook is social media because you can have a conversation, while TV is not because it’s just the screen talking to you. I’m going to focus on the most popular networks in this article: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Email.
Why use social media for marketing?